What are the wildcard characters for "is like" filters?

I’ve been to the OO5 manual and can’t find a word on this. For saved filter, “is like” search type, what are the wildcards? I was sorely disappointed that regular expressions aren’t supported here, even though it’s supported on the Find function. “Is like” seems to have an implied (hidden) ^$ regex surrounding the search term such that the defined pattern must match the entire line. Asterisk matches anything (or nothing), such that matching a row that begins with abc would be:
abc*

or that contains abc would be:
*abc*

and I’ve also figured out that ? matches a single character. What else? Is there a source somewhere that documents the options here?

Also, there seems to be a bug in the stats at the bottom of the page; after fiddling with the saved filter a few times, it will say “0 rows 0 words 0 characters” no matter how much is in the filter result. I can send to support, but FYI for everyone else, the stats may not be accurate.

You found the only two wildcard characters: ? matches a single character, while * matches zero or more characters.

We have most of the code in place to offer regular expression matching too; I’ll add feature requests for doing that as well as making sure our documentation covers the is like options.

3 Likes

Hi Ken, given that you said a year ago:

“We have most of the code in place to offer regular expression matching too; I’ll add feature requests for doing that as well as making sure our documentation covers the is like options.”

I’m wondering where this is on the development schedule.
BTW, I’ve been using OO for more than 10 years. I have 10+ years of notes in a single document, no problems. This more than anything else is a testament to robust, carefully crafted software. The artisan in me thanks Omni Group, as we plow into the future together.

-Bob

It’s something I’d personally love to add, but (even though most of the code already exists) everything takes time and that feature didn’t have enough requests to make it onto this year’s roadmap.

Sorry to disappoint!