What books on personal productivity are you reading?

I drive a lot. Consequently, I try to improve my mind by listing to audio books… My car is my university. It’s also my daughter’s canteen and dog’s bed but that’s a bit off topic.

There are some books which have really resonated over the years, and some which have been so appalling, I’ve nearly driven into a lamp post.

Firstly, does anyone have a personal favourite, which they keep coming back to?

And secondly, have you tied it into your implementation of Omnifocus.

Obviously I am not including anything by David Allen

Currently I am listening to Covey (the other one’s) 4 Disciplines of Execution. I’m broadly sympathetic to it’s message but not entirely sure yet.

Rather unconventionally, I have just finished The Nerdist Way by Chris Hardwick, which was hysterical- by far the funniest book on productivity I’ve found, and properly rude- bonus points. And swearing (more bonus points, I’m a soldier).

I’ve also quite enjoyed Zen to Done, but realised that it doesn’t account for the maelstrom of stuff that flies towards me each week. “Sorry, Colonel, but I am only committing myself to three tasks this morning” is a phrase which will never pass my lips.

Anyone?

The 7 Habits book is like David Allen’s GTD books. I’ve found that I had to put it away for a year before re-reading it. I would often pick up different things that i didn’t discover on the previous reading. I’d put it away for another year and re-read it again.

Zen-To-Done was my pathway to GTD. I tried David Allen’s way first and just fell off the bandwagon. Then I tried ZTD and was able to successfully adopt many of the GTD practices over time. I think that ZTD is more of a beginner’s introduction to GTD. But many experienced GTD practitioners can definitely pick up a lot of tips from the ZTD and incorporate it into their existing system.

Although it’s not an audiobook, I did find a couple of books that were helpful.

Michael Linenberger’s “Master Your Workday Now” is a nice workflow that tries to fill in areas where GTD doesn’t really explain that well.

I also like J.D. Meier’s “Getting Results the Agile Way” as another productivity workflow

http://gettingresults.com/wiki/Main_Page

For OmniFocus, Asian Efficiency’s OmniFocus 2 Premium Posts is definitely worth its price in gold. It has helped me advance quickly in OF2 rather than trying to experiment and spend hours searching for OF2 blog posts.

https://store.asianefficiency.com/omnifocus-premium-posts

I also love listening to audio books, Since I prefer fiction, I usually listen to the classics. There are some great non-fiction books available in audio version too, you just have to search more.

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg.