What is the current best option for keeping OO Mac and OO iPhone in sync?

I love OO, but only if Mac/iPhone syncing is rock solid even if I make offline changes on one device. My folder is littered with “conflict X from …” copies, which says that syncing has never been rock solid. This morning I noticed that my outlines are not keeping in sync. It seems that on the Mac side it lost track of the OmniPresence folder, maybe when I upgraded to Monterey. I didn’t move the folder or rename it. I don’t know whether to choose (a) “Restore this folder from the cloud” or (b) “Disconnect it from Synced Folders” (or (c) switch to a different sync platform like iCloud). I’m guessing either way I’ll lose some edits.

If you don’t get a useful answer here, you might consider contacting omni’s support.

Ok, I contacted support. OmniPresence isn’t capable of merging changes, so I had to set aside (rename) my existing local folder and let the server recreate the local folder. Actually in this case it wasn’t too painful as I had only made changes in one file since syncing ceased a couple weeks ago.

I’m still using Omni’s sync server for storage. Do y’all think it’s best to switch to iCloud? I’m thinking it doesn’t matter much since in both cases it’s managed by OmniPresence, right?

I don’t use any current versions. My ipad is an ipad3 (running ios9) and won’t even run the version of OO that was designed to run on it so I can’t sync anything at all.

FWIW, omni generally announces when they are changing something and tries to deal with any issues that arise. I find that apple rarely does and I’ve had myriad difficulties with apple stuff syncing the way I want it to so I would lean towards the omni solution but everyone’s mileage will vary.

I use iCloud syncing and rarely get conflicts. But it does happen, so I try to be fairly careful to upload/close the document I’ve been working on and give OO a chance to download things before starting on another device. The issue is rarely the mac, more my iPad where iCloud files (generally) aren’t downloaded until you open the file for editing—so if you’re offline, you might end up editing an older file and cause conflicts when you’re next online.

IIRC when you use iCloud you’re not using OmniPresence - it’s all on Apple’s backend.

Keep it private, don’t use the cloud. The best 60 bucks I’ve spent on software in years was for Resilio Sync Home Pro.

on the iPhone, it gets installed in the Files app, under “Locations”, at the top level (same as “On my iPhone”). Go into that “Sync” location and create an “outlines” folder there.

On the Mac, install Resilio (license is valid for all OSes), Then follow the instructions from the doc to connect the Mac folder containing your outlines with the one you created on your phone. With the iPhone Files app or the Omnioutliner app, you’ll have to browse to the Sync “outlines” folder to open the outlines AND MUST SAVE THEM THERE instead of the Omnioutliner folder.
If you create a new outline on your iPhone, you have no choice, it goes in the Omnioutliner folder. You must SHARE it with the Sync “outlines folder” once, and then always open and save it there.

The whole Resilio Sync thing is a bit complex, but so powerful! And stable, reliable, since 2013…
Start with
File Sync Software - Sync Home | Resilio Sync
then there’s plenty of doc, sometimes not so well written, but once you’re comfortable with the concepts and procedures, you can have many, many folders syncing instantly between OS X, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, all major NAS devices, and more. On your LAN and over the Internet. Use “Sync as a service” on desktops and make it start at boot time. The only weakness lies in iOS and its shitty background processing. You must open the Sync app on the iPhone for it to sync. You can use the iOS
Shortcuts app to do that automatically every X minutes/hours (good luck with that one).

(as you can see, I never understood what the fuss was about “resurrecting zombie threads”, and frankly, I dont care…)

I recommend iCloud Drive for most people, especially now that it supports end-to-end encryption (through its Advanced Data Protection setting).

OmniPresence is not used when syncing documents through iCloud Drive. OmniPresence only syncs documents stored in its own folders. If you wish, you can place some documents in iCloud Drive and others in OmniPresence and they will each sync independently using their own technology.

1 Like

Thanks Ken!