When do iOS and macOS Versions have same features and are no different programs anymore?

It’s still disturbing that such an expensive software, which has productivity and workflow as first focues, destroys that productivity. There are different featuresets on iPad, iPhone and macOS, that can’t be explained by differences of mobile and stationary devices.

Example 1:
On macOS I can set the feature that a project or activity group will marked as done when all activities assigned to it are done. It’s not possible with the iOS version.

Example 2:
On macOS I can set the time on minute basis. On iOS devices this is not possible.

Example 3:
The grouping by e.g. due date is totally different on iOS and macOS (I’ve a seperate thread to that 2 years ago, but no reactions).

Example 4:
The preview on macOS presents a list of all following day, where I can simply scroll through the list. On iOS I have to select the specific day. There is no list of all future days show with easy scrolling.

Example 5:
No review feature on iPhone (even Plus). You are forced to by an iPad when you need to follow your productivity guidelines on mobile track.

Example 6:
No setting of a closure date on iOS version possible

Example 7:
Hyperlinks within the notefield in IOS are not clickable in contrast to the macOS version.

1 Like

“No review feature on iPhone (even Plus).” – this is not accurate. The review perspective is built-in there (and visible by default, I believe). see https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/omnifocus/ios/2.9/en/working-with-perspectives/

3 Likes

This is also not accurate. If you view a note you can click it with a press on the link (as opposed to a precise tap within the link which switches into edit mode) - try using the flat of your thumb rather than a fingertip. This seems to be a quirk of the iOS text system and the fact that links are both editable text and clickable links in the same view. It’s taken me some trial and error to figure this out. The alternative would be to have separate view and edit modes for notes (the way Apple Notes handles text hyperlinks).

1 Like

Hi,

thank you for the answer. It seems that I mismatched the versions on the iPhone (legacy and universal) for some reason. With universal version I have the review mode now. I’m sorry.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Thank you for the hint with pressing the finger on the link.

For me the big mismatch is automation

On OSX I can paste in taskpaper, but on iOS I can (via a third party in the form of ‘editorial’) have fields that I can fill out.

I’d like to use the same taskpaper template on OSX, but can’t find a way to be prompted for the fields.

@murkee I use plain text editors on macOS, and can use Find/Replace for the changing of placeholder text (similar to what one might do with Editorial).

OmniFocus on the three platforms have come a long since the early days. it is getting closer. The Universal iOS app was just another step towards feature parity. It will take some time to implement equal features on all platforms.

I do get envious when I see 2Do having feature parity on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. I’m pretty sure that developers are working hard behind the scene to get to what we want it to become. I am looking forward to finally just using OmniFocus on my iPhone or my iPad without relying on my Mac so much.

I am afraid that isn’t the same. It’s creating a new document. The editorial method in iOS let’s me instigate a template with a click, then it prompts for data (and no risk of misedit breaking it totally, only incorrect data is possible), and it then adds direct to OF.

Whilst find and replace is an improvement, there are more operations to get into the template, each field must be manually found, edited, and then the result manually pasted into OF. It adds several steps, which is infuriating as a main computer should be able to do more than a phone!

1 Like

@murkee Yes, that makes sense. I guess Editorial doesn’t make a macOS version? But it’s a visual front end for Python script, I think - are there macOS python-hosting text editors that would take Editorial’s place I wonder? I don’t know.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. I don’t tend to template too much (as is apparent from my low tech process haha).

Cheers,

ScottyJ

I have been busy today:

I do this with TextExpander which is also available on iOS so I can use the same template on both. I punted Editorial until it gets an update and find it easier to do something like this in Drafts anyway.

Hmm… how does that work in practice?

How maintainable for multi-list tasks? Are you using text expander to tab between fields?

Despite being an iOS universal app, keyboard shortcuts only work on iPad. Really annoying since I use an external keyboard with my iPhone all the time.