Where does the archive live?

I haven’t archived since I installed OF3 shortly after it launched, but I archived a few times under OF2 (on the same Mac).

I’d like to uninstall OF2 but I don’t want to delete the archive. A few questions:

• If I uninstall OF2 will the archive be preserved on my Mac?

• Where, specifically, on my file system is the archive?

• If and when I run the archive option on OF3, will it add to the archive it created on OF2 or will create a new, 2nd archive?

OmniFocus 3 for Mac should offer to import the OmniFocus 2 Archive the first time you archive there, so I think if you do that before removing OmniFocus 2 you should be good to go. We’ve been thinking about ways to make this a little more obvious.

That depends on how you uninstall the app. Just deleting the .app bundle from /Applications/ won’t delete the archive.

The archive file is named Archive.ofocus-archive and lives alongside the default OmniFocus.ofocus database in the OmniFocus container:

~/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2/Data/Library/Application\ Support/OmniFocus/Archive.ofocus-archive

*in the above path, swap in com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2.MacAppStore if you purchased there.

The easiest way to get to that location from OmniFocus 2 is File > Open Archive, then right-click the archive’s proxy icon in the titlebar of its window, then click the enclosing folder:

2 Likes

In OmniFocus 3, there’s no title bar and thus no proxy icon. But if you want to quickly get to the OmniFocus Application Support directory, hold option key and open the File menu. You should see the item Show “<document name>” in Finder, which will do the same thing.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the assistance!

I was afraid to perform an archive from OF3 because I was afraid of having a separate archive database. But based on your comments I went ahead and did it, and sure it enough it offered to import my OF2 archive so I think I’m good to go.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.