Why do tasks not inherit color from their Group?

I like to color code different parts in my project for better clarity. I would expect that a new task would have the same color as the group it belongs to, but it doesn’t.

Do I really have to change the color individually for every new task I create? I know there is the option to put styles on F1, F2, F3…etc and then assign it to each task, but this still means that I need to press an extra button to do this AND remember which key had which style.

If I go through the trouble of assigning a group color I probably want the whole group to have that color and not only the group container. It would be much easier for the user if there was one shortcut for reverting a task to the documents default color instead of having to constantly apply a style with every new task. At least give us a preference to decide the default behaviour please.

Picture : New tasks created in a yellow group are blue because tasks don’t inherit color

1 Like

I do find this annoying/irritating.

@marek This is not functionality currently offered by OmniPlan, sorry! I’ve added your interest (and @revstu’s!) to our open feature request for group styling in OmniPlan.

surprised to hear that but thanks for putting it on the list!

@ains that is great! Thank you so much!

I would like to see this functionality as well. Inheriting group color would save loads of time.

@mcescher I’ve added your interest to our feature request as well! (Although I should note that emailing our Support team directly is the best way to make sure your feedback is tracked in our development database - I try my best to add feedback shared in our forums, but I definitely miss posts from time to time.)

This seems to still be a problem… any resolution?

1 Like

I’d like to see this feature too. The way I handle it now is:

1. In the inspector, I open Styles, then Project, then select “Named Styles” from the dropdown.
  2. Here, I create a named style for each grouping I want to record in the project (sometimes one per resource, sometimes one per milestone).
  3. Then I open the “Selection” tab under the Styles inspector, multi-select all the tasks and groups that should have that style and then I click the checkbox next to the appropriate named style in the inspector.

It’s not perfect, but it does save some time. It might be helpful to have a script that updates the project so that, say, all tasks assigned to Resource X get the “Resource X” named style.