Will I lose my changes after updating to new version?

Hi all.

Just updated OF (to 2.8.2).

Then made changes, added tasks, etc.

When I went to close the window, OF warned that “This document’s file has been changed by another application since you opened or saved it. The changes made by the other application will be lost if you save. Save anyway?”

Wow! What am I supposed to do now??? What is the “other application”? The old version of OF???

So I won’t save, I’ll leave the computer turned ON and wait for an answer here before doing anything else…

(How come there is no “Save as…” option in OF???)

Thanks.

Hi @M_ichel! I’m sorry for the trouble here.

OmniFocus tries to operate as a “shoebox application,” where it saves all its changes to your database in a single file generally hidden from view. As such, it’s very unusual for multiple apps to make changes, and when they do, it’s usually safe for OmniFocus to overwrite those changes.

If you’re concerned, you can check your backups folder for recent copies of your OmniFocus database:

1. Open Finder.
  2. Using the menu item Go > Go to Folder…, navigate to the folder ~/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2/Data/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Backups. (If you’re using OmniFocus from the Mac App Store, the third folder in this path will end in .MacAppStore.)
  3. Make sure you have a few database backups with recent timestamps on them.

If you notice any unexpected changes or missing items over the next couple days, you can look in these backup copies of your database to recover them. Otherwise, if all goes well, there’s no further action required.

I hope that helps! Remember that you can always get in touch with our support department – by email, or for time-sensitive questions during the week, by phone at 1 206-523-4152.

1 Like

Hi Tekl. Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have a ton of backups in the location you pointed out. Including probably one or two dated after the update.

So this morning, I went ahead and closed the OF window. Well, it didn’t even ask, this time, whether I wanted to save the file! It just closed the window and that was it. I restarted OF and all the tasks I had entered after yesterday’s update were there.

So all’s well that ends well.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like