I bought all the upgrades between omnigraffle 3 and 6 including upgrading to pro every time. I didn’t upgrade to 7 because I didn’t need any of the new features, but I was assuming I’d look again when 8 came out.
I also bought all iOS versions including pro. I’ve also bought various versions of omnioutliner and omnifocus even though I don’t use those very much.
A week ago, the OmniGraffle versions I had paid for were working perfectly and interoperating as they did when I bought them.
Today they are not.
Now, the most basic part of the workflow requires an 11 step process which renders it unusable.
I am clearly happy to pay for new functionality.
It’s an entirely different matter to expect me to pay for something that worked just fine a week ago and which was taken away via an update I had no control over.
I don’t believe that this is reflective of the Omni groups’s intentions here.
My hope is that the current state is temporary and that they will resolve it, perhaps by allowing the legacy format to be created from the iOS version as a configuration option.