Workaround to disable automatic spelling correction in notes field?

OmniFocus 2 does not obey the system-wide setting for automatic spelling correction when it comes to the notes field. I have automatic spelling correction disabled in the Text tab in the Keyboard preference pane. I reported this bug a year ago after living with it for a while, and it’s on the radar for the development team.

I’m interested to know if anyone has figured out a workaround, possibly with the app-domain setting for NSAutomaticSpellingCorrectionEnabled. As a shot in the dark, I tried defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2 NSAutomaticSpellingCorrectionEnabled -bool false and had no luck.

1 Like

OmniFocus doesn’t take the system preference (allowing you more granularity than if it did), but you should be able to right-click in a note as you’re editing it and uncheck “check spelling while typing” to set the Preference within OmniFocus. Is that not working for you? Apologies if you’ve already gone over this with support.

That seems to work, but must be done on a per-item basis. Furthermore, if I quit the app or switch perspectives, the feature is enabled again when re-opening or switching back.

Thanks for following up. We’re going to look into the lack of stickiness, because this came up just a few weeks ago and initially anyway it seemed to stick. Stay tuned!

Let me know if I can provide any data. I’m happy to help.

We got to the bottom of this; it was just a matter of crossed wires internally. The next OmniFocus 2.5.1 test build should include a fix.

I installed 2.5.1 test (v106.6 r258600) and it doesn’t appear to have fixed the problem.

I disabled “Correct Spelling Automatically” on a particular note, changed perspective, changed back to the original perspective, and found “Correct Spelling Automatically” to be enabled on that same note.

Thanks for getting eyes on this!

Thanks for taking a look! We took another shot in r258638.

At a first glance, that did the trick. Thanks! I’ll reply again if I notice any other oddities in daily use.

1 Like

Just updated to Omnifocus 2.5.1 and this works. Thanks so much for this fix, it was driving me crazy.