Compact layout: displays info on one line w/status circles on the left [Edit: Now available in 2.3! OmniFocus Preferences ▸ Layout ▸ Custom Columns]

I think the issue discussed in the other thread is different. While user over there are asking for an even denser view with less whitespace, vbampton and I think that it’s distracting to have two rows for each task because that makes it harder to quickly scan information of one type, as the second line creates visual barriers between the tasks. In other words, while the main issue in the other thread is having too little information per screen, we criticize its structure.

One suggestion I sent to the OF2 feedback email was to hide start / deferred dates from the past in context mode as they are only helpful when planning and not so much when doing. If you rely on deferred dates a lot, that cleans up context views considerably.

If we had that option, it would change context modes from this to that. If you like the idea, you could submit it too. ;)

4 Likes

[quote=“frevo, post:6, topic:93”]it’s distracting to have two rows for each task because that makes it harder to quickly scan information of one type, as the second line creates visual barriers between the tasks.
[/quote]

Yep, you’ve nailed it. Visual barrier is a very good way of putting it.

2 Likes

I agree. I’ll submit a request.

This is a really good way of explaining another problem with the new task list view.

1 Like

+1 for me as well. One of the things I love about Omnifocus 1 is the ability to strip a perspective down to the raw essentials. Even the notes button is over on the right and only opens if necessary. Something like that as a way to view the second line would work well, perhaps putting the small notes icon on the left

I’d love to be able to get down to a single line for tasks, and add columns for things like Estimated Time, Notes, Due Dates Projects.

When you have a 24" monitor, OF 2 wastes a lot of space horizontally which could be better used.

1 Like

Can’t help you with the columns, but here’s how to get the task to a single line:

Enter this URL in Safari: omnifocus:///change-preference?ContentLayout=compact and then restart the app.

To go back, enter omnifocus:///change-preference?ContentLayout

1 Like

Ken:

Perfect. You read my mind re: this feature. Please embed this into the next release as soon as possible.

Thank you

+1, thank you very much. Love this compact view! Just need some final touches, as several users pointed out.

I . . . 325th(?) this comment. I love, love, love the compact view. Just needs the bugs worked out (especially the lack of due/defer on quick entry - or am I just messing that up?). Anyhow, keep up the good work!

May want to note you can only do this in Safari. At least it didn’t work for me in chrome.

Thank you, this is a huge improvement.

This is a very nice visual feature but I still need to be able to modify columns in custom perspectives.

For example if I would like to review all completed tasks last week I get this massive list of everything completed last week. I have to select a row to get the inspector to come up to determine which day I completed the row. This doesn’t scale.

I don’t like the direction Omnigroup is going with OmniFocus. You’re taking away our ability to customize the software. If we purchase the professional version we should be able to customize everything to suit our specific needs.

1 Like

Sorry for the long delay! Now that we’ve shipped OmniFocus 2 for iPad, our test builds are active again and we’ve fixed the “compact” layout so you can click on the circle to check off items (rather than having to select a row and use the space bar).

Easy to lose track of the status of requests in a long thread like this one, but I thought I should mention that this change made it into the 2.0 release back in May.

thanks for fixing this. It would be great if the issue with tabbing through the deferred/due fields in quick entry in compact mode could be addressed.

If you resize the Quick Entry window to be wider, you can tab through the deferred and due fields now.

(Perhaps in the future the Quick Entry window should stay in narrow-and-tall mode rather than going to short-and-wide mode.)

Ken, what about tabbing in the OF 2 window itself? I have it set to full screen app mode on my 15" MacBook Pro. Even hiding the inspector and sidebar to make the GUI as wide as possible (which I don’t want to do), tabbing doesn’t work properly (invariably skips the defer date field).

1 Like

[quote=“kcase, post:77, topic:1697”]
If you resize the Quick Entry window to be wider, you can tab through the deferred and due fields now.[/quote]
This isn’t working for me in the latest test builds

Oh, I see: I didn’t pay close enough attention. There’s a more general bug (applies to both Quick Entry and the main window, as JBB noted above) where tab skips right past the Defer field and takes you to the Due field instead. You can Shift-Tab to get back to the Defer field, but I’m not yet sure why it’s skipping that field when forward tabbing in the first place.