I started using an iPad over my MacBook and I’ve encountered a handful of frustrations to my workflow. These are suggestions for improvement and I want to vent my frustration.
(1) Adding tasks is not simple. On a view on my MacBook I press enter from any list, especially a tag list, and boom there it is right where I expect it. On iPad, I press enter and I get a random task above my tag perspective that does not have the tag. Then I have to add the tag. Then I get really confused if I added it, assumed it would be there and it’s then lost. I should be able to use the same keyboard shortcuts for a similar experience between devices.
(2) Perspective changing is cumbersome. Often I switch between perspectives. On the OSX version I can continually see my perspectives on the left to switch even within my current view. I also can see my full project list despite being down in a folder. This also makes it impossible to drag and drop tasks to different folders or outside a folder. And I think it actually makes it impossible to move a project outside a folder (I’ve accidentally moved projects in folders and been unable to move them out). It’s too cumbersome for me to do some workflows on my iPad because It’s unintuitive to go up and down these layers continually. I have a large enough iPad screen (the 12.9 inch which is bigger than my tiny 12 inch MacBook) so it could easily show all. I know it’s simpler for iPhones, but iPads I would like to see the same full view. or at least have an option for this (maybe a shortcut?)
(3) SHORTCUTS: please add more shortcuts. I don’t understand why iPad apps lack so many essential shortcuts that OS X apps have. Things like enter to edit a task, ctrl+cmd+up/down to move tasks, ctrl+cmd+i to show hide info, shortcuts for moving perspectives (cmd+1, 2,etc ). Even something as simple as tab to goto the next field (on OS X tab goes front he title to the next field, on iPad it is stuck on the title field). Yes, I know it’s an iPad, but if I’m going to be productive—which is the whole point of having omnifocus) I want to be able to do things as quick as possible. And having a keyboard with easy access to changes with shortcuts, is essential for a lot of users.
(4) Moving tasks/projects around: Is it impossible to move a project from a folder to the main project list? Is the only solution to reorganize, to make a new project and move tasks over? This and moving tasks around should be possible and intuitive.
(5) Tag deleting - [this one is an addition, I just discovered this since posting this] it appears you cannot delete tags on iOS at all. I have two task with the same name (week), one is a sub tag, the other isn’t, and i often put a task in the wrong one and lose it.
I’m curious if omnifocus is planning on making any changes, if anyone’s experienced similar frustrations, or any work around for these.