Keyboard shortcuts cause text blocks to disappear

I’ve been experiencing issues with Omnigraffle Pro on my mac for about 6 months. It seems to happen on a couple of different interactions but I can’t always define the steps to reproduce making it really hard to report as a bug/issue.

This happens on both my laptop keyboard and my external Logitech bluetooth keyboard.

I frequently use the keyboard shortcut “Cmd + arrow” to move between elements and this issues only happens on text; sometimes I’m not sure what buttons I pressed (accidental button taps when typing too fast) but the focus is suddenly somewhere else and my text block is gone.

If I try “Ctrl + Z” to undo, there is no memory of the steps, it jumps back in history as if that text block or the text inside it never existed.

I was able to replicate one sequence when I was copying text from outside of OG into multiple text boxes using keyboard shortcuts for almost every step:

Imagine you have a vertical list of 20 square shapes, 1pt line, no fill and you want each of them to have different labels that are currently in text format in a document outside OG and you want to avoid retyping each one.

1. Cmd + shift or Alt + Shift) to highlight text in word/excel etc
  2. Cmd + C (copy)
  3. Cmd + Tab (toggle to OG)
  4. (With text box in focus) Enter (to make text in box editable)
  5. Cmd + V (paste) or Cmd + Alt + Shift + V (paste and match style)
  6. Cmd + arrow down (move to next text box below)
    At this point the text that I have just pasted above will be cleared and I can’t get it back, it’s like the action never happened.

I’ve tried uninstalling my bluetooth keyboard but today I’m on the laptop and it’s happened again.

I know it might sound minor but I’ve been using OG for over 10 years now for all my wireframes, annotations & build specs so it’s becoming a big issue when I’m refining copy for an hour and then it gets deleted.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I have not but don’t work much with text.

I would eMail tech support with what you posted. Although they are a little thin in staffing right now, they might be able to help you best.

Yes, it is clearly a bug.

• report it in the usual manner, via the Help/SendFeedback menu item
  • revert to a previous release that is known to be less buggy (V7.17.x ?)

Cheers

Thanks for your responses! I’ve tried reporting to tech support however it’s difficult to reproduce and they really want a video to demonstrate which is hard because you can’t see the keyboard strokes in the video and 99% of the times it happens it takes me by surprise so I’m not conscious to remember the steps I’ve taken.

It’s happening a few times a day so I’ll try raising it with support again.

Turn the audio on for the recording, and speak, state the keystrokes you are entering.

Cheers
Derek

HA… so simple! Too conditioned to recording my screen without sound on I seem to think that’s the only way it works - thank you :)

1 Like