Omnifocus 3 for Mac, Calendar sync

It looks like calendar sync has disappeared from OF 3 for Mac. Is this correct?

14 Likes

This was removed. I have an alternative solution I’ve been using, but it requires an always on Mac:

https://www.rosemaryorchard.com/blog/using-keyboard-maestro-to-create-an-always-up-to-date-task-calendar-from-my-omnifocus

4 Likes

That’s annoying. Thanks for the link. Interesting but I think it’s not for me.

Interestingly, after upgrading to 3 I’m still seeing OF tasks appear and disappear in the calendar. Which I probably don’t want now.

2 Likes

In any case: Is it possible to include/integrate the Calendar Events in the Forecast View? I still can do it in IOS but I do not see the option in OSX (https://support.omnigroup.com/omnifocus-forecast-calendars). Now it just says “Show calendar events” without the options for including the calendars.

Do you have calendars set up in the Internet Accounts section of System Preferences on your Mac? If yes you need to grant it permissions in one of the security panes I believe.

1 Like

I also would like to see this featuer brought back

9 Likes

I noticed the feature to get a calendar URL for the due date tasks for the next two weeks is gone, I find that disappointing.

I like to bind my system with my calendar app (busycal) and fantastical on ios, I also subscribe calendars for due tasks from collaboration apps such as Asana and more, I know it is possible to have them visible in the forecast now, but I do prefer having it available in the calendar app I have to say. I view events and due dates in the calendar app to see crystal clear what is coming the next two weeks, and then I view the forecast where I have only next week tasks visible and along with the deffered ones.

For me it would be useful if it would work both ways, being able to see external calendar events in the forecast like it is in omnifocus and be able to see due to date tasks in Calander app

I would like to put in a vote for bringing this feature back.

5 Likes

For me it would be useful if it would work both ways, being able to see external calendar events in the forecast like it is in omnifocus and be able to see due to date tasks in Calander app.

There is an OmniFocus competitor which does provide this feature, in fact with bidirectional editing (i.e. the ability to drag and drop tasks in the calendar, whereby the changes are synced with the task manager). I find their product unimpressive otherwise but this feature is indispensable in my use case, and I suspect that of many others. Could the OF folks chime in? Any hope in a forthcoming update?

9 Likes

OF Team - second this recommendation! Return the calendar sync & add the ability to drag and drop tasks in the calendar.

12 Likes

You may already have done this - but sending an email to the support mail address for oF ensures that your vote for this is recorded

1 Like

Nick - thanks…I didn’t know that; assumed someone tracks the messages on the forum. I just sent them a message.

You’re welcome

Omni are pretty good at tracking things through here most of the time, but if you send the mail, it gets added to a formal tracking database. They prioritise development based in part on how many requests there are for a particular feature, so it’s always worth getting your vote in.

1 Like

+1 to restore calendar sync functionality

8 Likes

I used to love the integration of OF with Apple Calendar, whether on my desktop or iOS. Tasks due that day would show up in the calendar. The mechanism involved pushing my tasks to a subscription calendar that I could pull down into Calendar or Fantastical 2.

It appears that this function was sacrificed in the upgrade to OF3. Or am I wrong about that? Any chance that it can come back?

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s been gone for a while. A few people have asked for it to come back - if you email the support team with the request, your vote can be added.

6 Likes

+1 vote - please restore OmniFocus reminder integration with Callendar.

6 Likes

I would love to have it back!

4 Likes

I used thhat function in the past. But because I use time blocking now (having links from calendar to to OF projects) this function become unnecessary for me. Maybe you also want to think about that.

2 Likes

+1 restore OmniFocus Calendar integration, and once you’re at it, implement integration with Outlook calendar as well: allow actions from OmniFocus to be dragged to Outlook Calendar as appointments.

4 Likes

I can understand the self-centred urge for Omnifocus developers to make OF the centre of the universe by cutting of the bidirectional link to calendars on MacOS, but then they need to step up and provide all the functionalities provided by calendar integration with other applications. If not, this reduction of OF functionality is silly and customer unfriendly. Please bring it back.

11 Likes