OmniFocus Web Access

Hi psidnell. I switched from Omnifocus to MLO for a while for the same reasons as you. It is certainly powerful (more so than Omnifocus in some ways such as task dependency and conditional formatting etc). However, ultimately I found it less compelling and engaging than Omnifocus.

Sometimes too many options get in the way of getting things done. šŸ˜€ However, your mileage may vary and Iā€™d be interested to hear what you think once youā€™ve had a chance to kick the tyres. Meanwhile Iā€™m back to using my iPad at work and hoping for an official web client for Omnifocus.

Be sure to check out the comprehensive user guide for MLO that can be downloaded from their website.

Well Iā€™ve been using the PC version of MLO for most of the week. I see what you man about the options, I canā€™t think of anything Iā€™ve used recently that was more configurable! Iā€™ve basically tried to mess with it only as far as to make it ā€œOmniFocus likeā€ to the point where I can actually get stuff done without too many distractions.

The interface is old and clunky (it fits right in on Windows 7) but it certainly does the job. I had been using Todoist for work stuff but their ā€œnative appā€ was basically a web app, so using a real native app feels like a big step up.

On the whole, and after considerable tweaking I feel that itā€™s a functional alternative to OF in that it supports the same kind of workflows - largely by having most of the same features, and probably a lot more Iā€™ll never use.

Clearly the PC UI lags behind their much more modern iPad/iPhone apps, thereā€™s no Mac app (theyā€™re considering one) and I do miss the simplicity and polish of OmniFocus, but itā€™ll do in a pinch if youā€™re trapped in a corporate time warp.

Pretty much my experience. MLO does have a great search engine (beats Omnifocus) and is a tinkererā€™s dream but that (and its Win XP UI) is also itā€™s Archilles heel. No dark mode either if you like that sort of thing. Be sure to check out the lively user forum (a Google group). The developer chips in from time to time and there are some really knowledgable and helpful long time users there, pretty much like this forum but with a clunky UI again. Good luck!

I was just about to purchase OmniFocus for use primarily on Mac an iOS. However, without a a web option to access it from a Windows PC, I will wait for this feature or find something else. I hope a web interface is added sometime soon because I am otherwise sold on OmniFocus.

1 Like

Ditto. Iā€™m waiting for this feature. I have an old version of OmniTask on my iPad but would love to access it from my Windows desktop computer via a web app. Iā€™d pay for this if it was only available.

Well, I just hope that OmniFocus/OmniGroup will make an API for us.
When we (read I) have access to the API, we/I can write a Web-version (and Android/Windows 10) myself.

That will take less work I think for OF/OG then writing a whole new version of OmniFocus for Web.

However, without a a web option to access it from a Windows PC, I will wait for this feature or find something else.???

Ali

Web version would be very well-received by those stranded on Windows.

1 Like

Iā€™m an Omnifocus fan- great software. But as I think about it, there are very few software products that exist only as a client and not somehow in the cloud. Thatā€™s where we are moving and to have an Omnifocus on the web would certainly be a large undertaking for Omnigroup, but hell, it could be a massive payoff on a new subscription based Omnifocus service.

2 Likes

So what would we pay for an OF web service, and would it cover increased Omni development and staffing costs? Iā€™m sure theyā€™ve done the sums at some point.

Iā€™m already paying for an alternative product that I can use in my Windows only Work Dungeon so it would be a no-brainer for me, Iā€™d switch in a heartbeat.

Other services provide a basic free tier and $30-$40 per year for pro features (e.g. Todoist, Remember The Milk - Iā€™ve tried both) but I suspect quite a few frustrated OF junkies might pay more especially if that got things off the ground.

This thread has 10K views, that must tell us something ;-)

Yes I think people would sign up for a web based version, but probably at the expense of the iOS apps, so revenue stream overall may not increase. Additionally there is no guarantees that corporates will allow OF web access anyway without some overall administrative control being in place, which will increase both dev and maintenance costs for OF.

Personally I am happy as is, but then I have no usage restrictions or corporate policy to worry about.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using OmniFocus since 2006 to manage both professional and personal tasks on Mac and iPhone. Probably payed twice for each version - well, just because it is so good I couldnā€™t imagine my life without itā€¦

And here I am, asking for a web version. New job - Windows only environment (welcome to the world of big organisations).
Am I willing to pay extra for that feature? Oh yeah.

Please, donā€™t make me switch!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been sitting on the sidelines of this topic for too long. Iā€™ll finally chime in. Like everyone here, I could use a web version for the same reason: stuck with Windows at work.

The only thing to add is this: Iā€™d take a trimmed down version of OF as a web app if it meant that the web app would actually get made. Iā€™d need a way to add tasks and see whatā€™s on deck. If youā€™re looking for 20% of function that would provide 80% of results, that would be it.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m in the same situation.
Even a ā€œview onlyā€ web version (or an API or RSS feed?) would be worth it.

1 Like

1+ PLEASE make this happen. I really want to use Omni Focus, but I find that I am completely inefficient on my iPhone use only with this. I am sitting at a desk during the day and all of my other software has a web access. It doesnā€™t make sense to not have this, especially when you have clients asking about this for the last several years.

I held off buying your product for a long time because it didnā€™t have a web access. I thought I could make it work, but I really canā€™t with my work style. It is too inefficient. I need to be Maybe small little reminders is one thing, but when you are managing a company and over see several departments and have a dozen plus areas of responsibility, trying to go to your phone is simply not time efficient.

1 Like

Completely agreed

1 Like

+1 For the web interface. Iā€™m now on todoist witch is ok but I would prefer to use omni focus. In this time and age we really should be able to us OF on more platforms.

1 Like

ā€œConstructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas, not people.ā€

Iā€™m going to be critizing the idea and the ideaology behind Omnifocus makers. I hope that is okay.

As a paying customer Iā€™ve spent over $100 over the past couple of years to maximize my use of your products. And these are fantastic products indeed. No two ways about it. Productivity for me went up by 100% since I started using it.

But the innovations around these products has been extremely slow. And now, in 2016, you are well behind the curve. The biggest feature is that you are getting left behind as the world gravitates towards cloud.

Starting this month, Iā€™ve officially stopped using Omnifocus and have actively promoted other apps ā€“ I do believe that in the next cycle of release you guys have to do some considerable catch up. Good luck!

Iā€™m curious to know which other apps youā€™re promoting.

The lack of web app and frustrating iOS interface has led me to Nirvanahq. A word of caution though, their development track record isnā€™t the best. They recently had a sudden resurgence and spurt of development but given their track record in the past few years Iā€™m not entirely optimistic that this will continue. Otherwise, I find this to be the best mix of ease-of-use and advanced features, for my purposes.

If true start dates are not necessary, then Todoist is a good contender.