OmniFocus Web Access

OmniFocus has always been an application for Apple devices. It think it’s more helpful to existing users to make enhancements on the existing platform rather than spreading sideways to web apps, Windows, Android etc., which would mean poorer integration, a less polished user interface and a risk to the reputation of the product. Omnigroup does not have unlimited resources, and has more than enough work to do already just improving the Mac and iOS versions.

2 Likes

I LOVE OmniFocus 2 and I would easily pay a subscription license through an in-app purchase for a web-based client for OmniFocus.

Maybe this would work by syncing my projects to some kind of cloud instance.

My employer prohibits unlicensed or personally licensed applications on their equipment. Also, due to the nature of many of the projects I work on, the “notes” and details of my tasks could reveal more information than we or our clients may desire.

But for all of my personal projects, I may travel and want access to a more “Mac Like” interface without bringing any equipment with me.

1 Like

“Omnigroup does not have unlimited resources” - okay there champ - you know how to increase resources. By making more money. You know how to make more money, to increase exposure. You know which market out there has a substantial amount of potential for a juggernaut like Omnifocus. THE WEB!!!

Secondly “OmniFocus has always been an application for Apple devices” – and you know Google was always a search bot? And then…

I just wanted to cast my vote here. It would be a great relief and a fantastic compliment to the OmniFocus platform. I use OmniFocus mainly on my iPhone, sometimes on my iPad, and when I am working on my iMac. However, once I am at work on my Windows PC, it feels awkward. I tried to integrate my iPhone/iPad into my workflow but the process feel discontinues and lacking harmony.

Would love to hear soon from OmniFocus on what they think and plan about a web interface.

Regards,
Ibrahim

We’re honored that so many people would like to see OmniFocus available on more devices, but right now we’re focused on improving OmniFocus on the platforms where it already exists. We have no plans to develop OmniFocus for the web.

5 Likes

Thank you @kcase for your prompt reply and clarification.

Lets see how long before someone else asks again :)

1 Like

Web Interface!

I think it’s a matter of time when Omnigroup will move into subscription based model (à la Todoist) and then we can most likely see web based version.

I, for one, do not want to see a web based subscription model. For me, the native mac app works wonderfully well. The price is good and I don’t have to pony up money every month or even year whether or not I am using the app. When it comes to pricing, I believe, the Omni Group really looks after their customer base.

2 Likes

@kcase

Ken,

What will it take to change those plans? As we know, no plan is set in stone; and as the world changes, so should your plans. To judge the demand signal, why not do a pre-pay campaign (a la Kickstarter). If enough people put their “money where their mouth is”, you would have enough money to hire the staff. I for one would happily pre-pay for this feature.

+1 for web access, even minimal.

Craig

1 Like

If you are interested in viewing, you can do your own minimal already using third-party software to generate a live/scheduled list of tasks and projects in Taskpaper, for example.

Have your Mac dump it into a synced service like Dropbox/Resilio/OneDrive/whatever or even shove it into an s3 bucket with a URL you can access or something.

iOS and macOS favor software and applications. Omni has been writing software for macOS and iOS since before they were even called OS X — why not let the Wunderlists and Todoists of the world get acquired and ??? Teams don’t use OmniFocus unless they’re well aware they’re off-script. This is software for individual contributors that don’t have someone telling them what they can and can’t do every day.

Also adding a request here. With the shockingly overpriced, underspec restrictive new MBP I can see my time with the Apple world drawing to a close.

It would be a shame to leave OF behind.

I don’t want a web app. I thought I did when I started reading this thread, but as I went to email OmniGroup (which I just did), I realized I really want a universal Windows version of OmniFocus.

I think (as enrvuk mentioned) that Apple’s heyday is over, and that Microsoft has shockingly picked up on the innovation front. With Windows 10 catching up to, and in some ways surpassing, MacOS, I think a native Universal Windows 10 app would be a powerful competitor to the existing, pretty pitiful, supply of GTD apps available for Windows (as others have mentioned).

1 Like

That’s precisely why I want a web service…

… if the browser wars erupt again, or there’s a shift in operating system dominance I want to be insulated from that by standards-based computing.

Hello,

Me also faced this access problem, but my tech friend “Gustavo Woltmann” solved this issue so easily.
I am really grateful to my friend.

I wouldn’t take tech bloggers opinions too seriously without doing some critical analysis first. Maybe the idea that Apple lost innovation came about with the surface book vs the new MacBook Pro reviews. Of course, we get wowed by the touchscreen but I wasn’t impressed by the CPU performance of the surface book when docked and undocked, Innovation isn’t a series of big bangs but more a collection of small refinements that add up over time. The tech bloggers are looking for the big wow factor and forgetting that innovation is based on refinement of previous innovation.

I’m guessing that many casual observers will listen to tech bloggers say that the MacBook Pro wasn’t innovative enough. Maybe, maybe not. Apple had to use the older intel boards because their development cycles were different from Intel. INtel didn’t release the new kaby lake processors way after Apple was more than halfway through their development cycle for the new MacBook Pro. Apple couldn’t just replace sky lake with the kaby lake chips. they would’ve had to retest everything and delay the new MacBook Pro. So tech bloggers had fake outrage that Apple wouldn’t use the new kaby lake boards. they accused Apple of not being innovative enough without understanding the events happening behind the scenes. This was anger misdirected at Apple and spread by tech bloggers happily stirring up the pot.

the MacBook Pro is an impressive machine that is forward thinking. Meanwhile the surface book gets higher marks for still having USB A ports? But that tries to straddle a bridge between the present and the future. Meanwhile the MacBook Pro is pulling us into the future kicking and screaming by going all in on USB C. In a year or two, no one will be caring about USB A. Yet tech bloggers scream bloody murder because Apple decided to take USB A out. Remember the uproar happened when Apple removed the floppy drive and the optical drive? It was a “standard” that shouldn’t have been taken out. Nowadays, a new generation of college students don’t know what SCSI, parallel ports, and serial ports are. FireWire is another technology that was useful for its time but is now surpassed by thunderbolt and USB C.

windows 10 is a fine competitor to MacOS. There are a few things that are great about windows 10. There are a few things about MacOS that are certainly great as well. They will leapfrog each other and approach a problem differently.

To say Apple isn’t innovative enough is easy trolling.
What I’m going to say is stop reading tech blogs that drive click baits with fake outrage that Apple is no longer innovative.

2 Likes

Interesting points about the MacBook Pro, and I’m glad to hear optimism about Apple. I don’t read tech blogs: I agree that they just need to post drama to get readers and sell ads.

But, my Macs are getting buggy and no longer “Just Work”, and I bought a brand new 2013 Mac Pro last year that’s being outperformed on some tasks by the $1000 HP Omen laptop my wife (also an avid Mac user) had to buy for some 3D work (for speed from the graphics cards - the software runs on Mac too).

Also, Microsoft’s Universal Windows Platform is quite attractive as a developer. As a developer (for web, iOS, and MacOS), I don’t feel secure staying cloistered in the Apple ecosystem any more. If the trend continues, I think my next set of computer purchases may well be M$ devices, which would mean 1) I have to consider developing for UWP, and 2) I need an OmniFocus replacement, hence my presence on this thread. :)

I emailed OmniGroup, and they’re sticking with Apple. I hope you (and OmniGroup) are right and that Apple keeps plugging along and comes out with graceful, functional computers that outdo M$, but I’m not optimistic. I’ll take a closer look at the MacBook Pro though - probably should have gone for that instead of the Mac Po.

Hi all, I’ve recently released a web interface for OmniFocus tasks - https://webfocus.io/

Currently it’s in public beta, you can read more about it in reddit thread, where I already answered some questions.

10 Likes

I created an account just to say thank you. You’ve made me so happy. I’ll gladly pay when it is out of beta!

1 Like

Account created. Thank you for the effort.

• Is Reddit where you prefer feedback for bugs?
  • Do you have a Jira project or something?
  • Are you considering open-source contributions?
  • Maybe a free month on an account associated with a first bug report or feature request?