OmniFocus Web Access

Hi, thank you, hope you like it.

I think it’s best to report bugs through contact form in webfocus (bottom-right corner).

I use Trello for product development, but currently it’s a closed board. I wasn’t planning on opening it, I don’t know how valuable it would be. Maintaining it would require some additional effort on my part I would rather spend on development.

webfocus’ code is not open so it’s not possible to make open-source contributions. I wasn’t really thinking about any bug bounty program or other reward systems and I can’t really say I used any software that had such incentives? I’m thankful for bug reports because I can improve application thanks to them. I guess it could be rewarded by extending subscription if it’s very serious, but I guess it would be more per-case thing? I don’t know, currently it’s still open beta, so I’m not even thinking subscriptions yet ;)

2 Likes

Gosh, if you could only join the Omnigroup development team, I can imagine the amount of support and resources that would open up to you. sigh. Maybe this might be a pet project that suddenly attracts the Omnigroup eyes (wishful thinking)…

3 Likes

Very nice. I just signed up and when you get out of beta then I won’t mind paying.

1 Like

Would be buyer here. I used and loved OF way back when… almost a decade later I dropped in hoping to find that you had a way to enable at least readonly access on a work PC: whether by web client or by Windows client… Sadly looks like that isn’t in the cards. Dear OF marketing people. When you one day do make it so that I can see my stuff from an evil Windows PC, please email me, I will buy your very expensive software. Until then…

1 Like

Webfocus from @hodak just added an inspector that lets you change Projects and Contexts - this is so great.

I really want to recognize him here for all the work - this make is possible to use windows at work.

2 Likes

+1 for a web based version. I had to walk away from all of the money and time and effort I had invested in OmniFocus for the same reason as a lot of the folks here. I took a job where I forced to use Windows. Maintaining two GTD applications became to unwieldy and annoying where my work and personal life intersected at times and also due to the fact that I work from my home office (all Apple) about 50% of the time. I ultimately landed on a ToDoist subscription specifically because I had not only the Mac version, but a web based version, an iPhone version, and an iPad version. I sorely miss the location based tasks and contexts. One other deciding factor to move to ToDoist was their very flexible repeating task due dates. I do a lot of government (Federal and State) reporting where due dates tend to be something like the first workday of the quarter, or on the second Friday of the month and Todoist shines there. Were Omni learn from the ToDoist model, I would gladly migrate back or purchase a subscription if that became the model.

3 Likes

This is the biggest pain point I have faced with Omnifocus. On top of that Omnifocus doesn’t even provide an API. Is there any progress on this at all?

1 Like

Thank you for this recommendation! I’m in the same boat as I just got a new job at a big corporation (obviously only running windows).

A developer can read the XML data from the OmniFocus sync server. That’s open access to developers. Webfocus and a few other Android app developers have taken advantage of this.

1 Like

Adam has just officially launched webfocus.io and it is solid, no problems in sync with the official apps (and I’m in Omnifocus beta), and at 3$ per month (36 in the year) beats a lot of apps there.

3 Likes

Does webfocus allow you to add tasks?

Yes, you can

• add tasks
  • complete and flag them
  • edit name, due and defer dates
  • assign them to projects and contexts
3 Likes

That sounds like a decent set of features, enough to allow me to access OF at work. I’m off work at the moment but will give it a go next week.
Thanks

1 Like

Wow, just signed up for the free trial. This looks really impressive. Setup took seconds and I can see all my tasks.

After a quick play, I can see that some big stuff is obviously missing:

• Perspectives
  • Task notes
  • Can’t modify projects/contexts
  • Can’t re-order tasks

But for now I can resort to my phone for that.

Being able to view by project/context/flagged and add/edit/complete tasks from the interface is definitely approaching “good enough” to allow me to use for work.

If the service proves to be robust, reliable, secure and keeps pace with the changes Omni are making to the file format this is going to mean I can ditch using a separate system for work.

I’ll definitely continue with the trial.

Nice work!

2 Likes

Love it! thank you very much. I just signed up and it looks great. I can see some features missing (e.g. just noticed that I can’t complete reoccurring tasks) but hopefully this keeps getting better.

1 Like

I’ve been an OmniFocus user for one year, but have decided to switch to another product. Given that there have been no changes made for me to be able to access OmniFocus on my PC or on a web browser, it is pretty clear that OmniFocus has loyalties which are not favourable to it’s paying customers. Also, the fact that I cannot sync to my calendar with any real functionality makes this product obsolete.

For anyone reading this forum who is trying to decide on an optimal organization tool, I would look elsewhere. Not worth the $50.

Maybe I’ll be back when OmniFocus shapes up and adds more means of access and more syncing with other tools.

Or you can bring your phone to work.

1 Like

Or you could start using webfocus.io which has basic functionality.

1 Like

Having my organization tool on my phone adds ease of access, but this should not have be the primary and only way to access it.

Yes I could use webfocus, but I wasn’t interested in paying a monthly subscription to a third party in addition to the cost of the original app. Lots of cheaper options out there.

Omni is a Mac and IOS shop - always has been and makes no secret of that. Not really sure why you paid for it hoping for PC/Web versions when they’ve never been on the road map.

I’ve been a paying customer for a lot longer than one year, and it’s clear to me that Omni absolutely is loyal to its paying customers.

You obviously need a different app, such as Todoist, which has Mac, PC, Web and all sorts of other versions. There may be others. OF just is not what you need, but the idea that the rest of us should avoid it because of that is simply insulting.

3 Likes