Omnigraffle Pro 5 and High Sierra

I’ve never bothered updating from 5.4.4, as it does everything I need. Before I move to 10.13, can anyone confirm if 5.4.4 will continue to work?

Thanks…

I too, am on V5.4.4, it works almost perfectly.

I had a new MacBook Pro with MacOSX 10.13, it was a disaster. Not with OG but with various Apple apps and the OS. I did not check OG::10.13 closely, but all apps sucked dead bears on 10.13. Apple shipped me iWork’09, along the same lines as sticking with OG 5.4. I am not very tolerant about lost functionality.

I detailed some of the reasons for the disaster in another thread but they have censored the post (it is a marketing site, not a technical site). With support from Apple, I have reverted 10.10.3, and now everything is stable, not perfect, but much, much better than 10.13 and 10.12.

Re using OG, I have had to throw out my MagicMouse, and I now use a $10 K-Mart mouse, that works perfectly.

Nevertheless, OG 5.4 did work on OSX 10.13. It is just that you might have problems, and in the end, they are really Apple problems, not OG 5.4 problems.

Cheers

Derek, thanks for that - very useful, and sorry you had such poor upgrade experiences. For me, moving from 10.11 to 10.12 was almost entirely painless (bar the usual Adobe idiocies), but of course we each have our own app requirements and issues.

1 Like

After upgrading my MacOS to High Sierra (10.13.1) today, the first application I tested was OG 5.4.4. To my annoyance, it simply doesn’t come up at all. It keeps crashing App. I sent crash dump to Apple and OmniGroup. I’m really hopping someone on this forum has a way I can fix this. I’m not quite ready to upgrade my OG to 7 (for financial and convenience reasons). Failing that, the only other option I have is to downgrade my macOS back to the earlier version – painful.

thanks,
Mussie G

Hi Mussie,

OmniGraffle 5 was last updated in 2013 for Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and as such, does not contain any specific fixes for newer operating systems such as El Capitan, Sierra, or High Sierra. We have found that OmniGraffle 5 and OmniGraffle Professional 5 will no longer run on macOS High Sierra due to API changes on the latest operating system. https://support.omnigroup.com/high-sierra

OmniGraffle 5 is no longer in development, as OmniGraffle 6 was released in September, 2013. The latest is OmniGraffle 7, released on October 10th, 2016, and we’re happy to offer an upgrade discount for existing customers. If upgrading isn’t an option for you though, I’m afraid you would need to downgrade your computer’s operating system to use OmniGraffle 5, as we are not aware of any way to run that version of the app in any capacity on High Sierra.

1 Like

Aaron, I have the exact same problem as mmussie, just upgraded to High Sierra and OG no longer loads. What is the next step to upgrade? A discount code would be nice, this is an unexpected hassle with a client waiting.

Information about how to upgrade at a discount is available on our site here: Buying an upgrade for OmniGraffle 7 for Mac

If you have any other questions about the upgrade, or need assistance with the upgrade process, our sales team would be happy to assist! You can get in touch by emailing sales@omnigroup.com, or by calling us at 1-800-315-6664 (Toll-Free in U.S.) or +1 206-523-4152, Monday-Friday from 10AM to 5PM PST.

I have both Omnigraffle 5 (installed 2013) and Omnigraffle 7 (installed) today on the same folder. I chose the old version for the discount verification however, the system does not recognised it as the old version… what else can i do? can i just give the serial number that i got?

As mentioned above, for assistance with any issues encountered during the upgrade process, please contact us at sales@omnigroup.com or 1-800-315-6664 (Toll-Free in U.S.) or +1 206-523-4152, Monday-Friday from 10AM to 5PM PDT, and we’d be happy to help further.

The forums are a great place for community discussion, but if you’re having a problem with our software or the purchasing process, the best way for us to provide technical assistance in a timely manner would be over email or the phone.

Let it be known that ALL of us that have been left HIGH and DRY by Omni Group will never purchase another of their products again.

I bought Omnigraffle. I expect to be able to use omnigraffle on my computer. OS upgrades are not some opportunity for Omnigroup to force new purchase upgrades.

The exec in charge of this strategy should lose their job.

1 Like

You genuinely expect to be able to use the same version on any future OS upgrade? You bought a piece of software 5 years ago for an operating system that gets a major update very year and you expect perpetual free updates?

Noted

That’ll no doubt be @kcase who runs Omnigroup. You could make this point to him directly. His email address and Twitter handle (he’s pretty responsive there) are publicly available.

2 Likes

left HIGH and DRY

I do know the feeling – I bought my son some socks in 1982, when he was a baby, and do you know they no longer fit him ?

The sheer gall of these sock sellers ! I feel sure that they knew this might happen …

(I kept the receipt, and have written to demand a free replacement that fits him now (size 11), but for some reason have yet to receive a reply)

yours indignantly, etc

PS – and don’t get me started on all those companies who sold us vinyl records in the sixties and seventies, and have completely failed to issue free CD or digital file replacements. Quite incredible … What kind of a business model is that ?

3 Likes

Yes.

There is a bit of a problem when one has to deal with people who think that consumables such as socks are comparable or analogous to:

• computer software (not a consumable) or
  • computer software (not a consumable) working with host computer software (not a consumable) for which it was produced (not a consumable)

So please forgive me if I do not respond to such nonsense.

The second problem is that people are now used to the MicroShaft marketing model, and happily accept the blue screen of death, or pay substantial money for every o/s upgrade, or worse, buy new hardware to accommodate the new o/s. Which is basic fraud. But those who are thus enslaved, are used to it, and they are surprised that others who do not accept fraud will not buy what they happily buy, that other are not enslaved.

So the simple fact is, machines, good machines, and even small personal versions of good machines, have enjoyed a certain forward and backward compatibility. We did put men on the moon in 1969, we have come a long way, and we have an established way of doing things. Expectations - if not guaranteed performance - are set.

Not so in the PC market, where the world’s greatest thief robs his enslaved customers blind. And they love it.

During Steve Jobs tenure, Apple was clearly a serious computer, conforming to the big game (Unix) market and expectations. Backward compatibility was guaranteed. One was assured that OG 4 would run on any future MacOSX (but not, say, on a new chip architecture).

With a schizophrenic at the helm, Apple has fallen into step with the image-oriented folks. Various Apple software is down-graded, just to please millennials (who cant handle the full kit of features), or to constrain it to what can run on a tablet or smart phone. And the o/s is growing at an alarming rate. Next you have the problem where almost all Apple s/w communicates with servers for nefarious purposes, and blows your ISP quota. In that slippery slide into suicide, Apple have given up their promise of backward compatibility: they regularly change o/s libraries and 3rd party s/w must change in order to use the o/s.

Now in the large server market (I work with six-figure commercial s/w), that is not a problem. First, the life span of decent software is much longer: here some people have no problem being forced into changing socks every five years; whereas in the big end of town, they will be righteously angry if their socks do not last 15 or 20 years.

• The o/s suppliers maintain both old and new libraries (that is, they do not replace the old library
  • The players are large enough, committed enough, and Standard-compliant enough, that (a) the change required will be very small, and (b) they will apply the change required to the old, no-longer-supported releases.
    The life span is maintained by both parties.

Apple used to be in that category (my previous MacBookPro lasted eleven years, without changing o/s at every o/s release). But no longer, Apple are now in the MicroShifty category. When I purchased my new MacBookPro, with the then latest o/s release, it simply did not work with most of my existing documents and half my apps. Note, newbie Apple customers (mostly moving from iPhone and iPads to Macs) would not have that problem, everything looks fantastic, image-wise.) After five visits to the shiny, gleamy AppleStore, incrementally going backwards, I finally settled on Yosemite 10.10.5, which worked with most things.

And I had to revert to iWork '09, in order to retain the features and functions that Apple removed from the newer releases. That is now nine years old, but it works, almost perfectly. Apple newbies, who do not know what the have lost (a three- or five-year memory) have no idea that their shiny new app is a shadow of the older version of the same app.

Likewise, companies that write s/w for Apple are no longer in that category, they no longer think in terms of forward and backward compatibility. They write s/w that breaks when used with the next o/s release.

OmniGroup also removes functions and features in newer releases.

Yes. We have had that capability since 1969.

There are some hard-and-fast boundaries, such as Motorola-based s/w cannot run on Intel; Classic cannot run on MacOSX, but within each of those bounded categories, most emphatically, yes.

Eg, any Intel-based s/w should run on any future Intel-based o/s release. It is called backward compatibility (from the Apple standpoint) and forward compatibility (from the app supplier standpoint. Both parties have to implement a high degree of Standards.

Evidently OG does not.

And as described above, Apple does not care for it the way they used to.

“perpetually” makes the original expectation sound unreasonable. It we subtract that, and leave the expectation in its un-perverted form, yes, we expect NOT to have to upgrade s/w every time the o/s is upgraded. Or every five years worth of o/s releases.

Cheers

every time the o/s is upgraded

Passive voice elides the actor.

Who upgraded the OS ?

The user ? (I personally haven’t upgraded mine to High Sierra)
Omni ? They have no control over it.

If you really want pricing that factors in an unlimited (or even human lifespan) stream of future unpaid services, then you will need to prepare for:

• Much higher prices, and (few would buy the product at such prices)
  • business failure on the part of the supplier. In other words, no future services at all.

You didn’t have to upgrade the OS. Apple still provides updates for a number of previous versions of OSX/Mac OS - at least back to El Capitan.

It’s well known that OS upgrades may be incompatible with application software; you’re obviously knowledgeable and therefore aware of the risk.

Application developers are (since OSX 10.7) subject to an annual upgrade cycle which entails substantial cost. I believe that it’s completely unreasonable of you to expect any and all changes to be provided free of charge. You clearly disagree.

Yes.

But it is not sufficient to simply say, this is the way it is, and GraffleGuru and one Anon disagree. No. The whole point of my post is to provide a context, history and geography, and in that context, it is not simply, this is the way it is. It is, this is the way it was, for decades, that is quite different from, this is the way it is.

OG was $50.

Yes. Then there is rent; electricity; payroll; etc.

By definition, the more standard-compliant and forward-compatible they are, the less it costs.

Not “any and all changes”, but as I have detailed, forward compatibility bugs or fixing Apple’s backward compatibility failures, notably dead simple changes:

• OG 4 breaks on Retina
  • OG 5 breaks on HighSierra

(Notably, OG5 removed features that OG4 had, and it costs more; OG 6 removed features that OG 5 had, and it costs more. So the stack they maintain is shrinking. But let’s not get distracted.)

It is not unreasonable for the way it was, and still is, in the high end of s/w.

Certainly, for people who do not know the way it was, who have nothing to compare with, the way it is, is just fine. And they pay $250 for less functionality and features.

Marvellous “business model”.

Fraud, ala Bill Gates, by another name. Sure, people who have no idea about the way it was for decades are quite happy with the way it is.

Cheers

A license offering an infinite future stream of unpaid upgrades has the unmistakable arithmetic profile of a Ponzi scheme – it can only work if there is an infinite future stream of additional buyers.

The illusion of sustainability can seem convincing for a while, and there are bound to be buyers, but as the market (inevitably) begins to saturate, the time of shock and indignation begins.

Now you’re just descending to personal insult.

It does not work to take a fragment out of it its context, then hold it up in isolation from its context, and evaluate it as an isolated statement that stands on its own, devoid of the context in which it exists.

• If you did that unconsciously, it is fragmented thinking

• If you did that consciously, it is dishonest.

An honest, un-fragmented person would evaluate the statement in the context in which it exists.

By “personal”:

• if you mean Bill Gates, yes. For the reasons documented in my posts. Being the world’s xth richest man does not magically eliminate the fraudulence of the method (“business model”) that made him rich.

• The crime is public; the victims are the public; he is a public figure, there is nothing personal about it.
  • If you mean someone else, your statement is obviously (by virtue of reason) false.

In any case, this thread is about OG versions which operate (or not) on specific MacOSX versions; the gross limitations of that relationship; and ventilation of the causes of such limitations. That is to say, whether the purported reasons are true or not; whether there are other considerations; etc. It would be good if you could stick to that.

Cheers

What a collection of specious “arguments”

To accuse someone of a serious crime, for which they have not been charged, let alone tried and convicted, is simply an insult.

To put that accusation in the context of a complaint that Omni don’t let you have free upgrades indefinitely is clearly to imply that you accuse Omni of the same crime.

If you want to continue posting your long-winded by illogical arguments, feel free. But don’t expect me to accept your faux-academic constructions.

You believe that Omni are scamming you by not giving you free upgrades. So far, none of their other customers has agreed with you. Possibly that’s because you’re mistaken.