Remove a single Guide

I’m having trouble understanding how to remove a single Guide. There is the ‘Clear Manual Guides’ action within the menu but that removes them all. How do you go about removing a single, specific Guide when you no longer need it but would like to keep the rest?

Greetings

• Pick the Guide up (Select-Drag) and move it back to the Ruler, whence it came.
    • If that does not work, it means the Guides are locked …
    • Using that same Arrange menu, Unlock Guides.

Cheers

Thanks for the input, however I tried this before posting since this is the default behavior in most image editors. It did not work. I again revisited this approach after your message to reconfirm. The guides are not locked, and when I drag the guide to the ruler it just drags it slightly offscreen. Basically, it drags it to be right under the ruler, so if you zoom out you can plainly see it is still visible. I’m not trying to hide it, I’m trying to remove it. Is there any way to actually remove guides?

You are welcome.

How about Arrange/Guides/ClearManualGuides ?

If that does not work, it means your “guide” is not a Guide, but a Line. Select it, and delete it.

Cheers

So that method using ‘ClearManualGuides’ will remove all the guides. My use case is when I need to just remove one specific guide. Is this just not possible in Omnigraffle ?

Did you figure out whether your “guide” was a Guide or a Line, or not ?

Of course it is possible, it is a fairly basic operation. We need to figure out why you cannot do it.

1. Just pick the Guide up, one at a time, and move it back to the Ruler whence it came.
    • if that works, skip the rest
  2. If that does not work, it means your Guides are locked.
    • Use Arrange/Guides/Unlock Guides
    • if you wish to move Guides; to add and drop Guide, do not Arrange/Guides/Lock Guides
  3. If that does not work, it means your “guide” is not a Guide, but a Line.
    • Select it and delete it.
  4. Note that Lock/Unlock Guides is a toggle.
    • If you are unaware that you have locked the Guides, you will be unable to remove them.
    • So check the Arrange menu, to determine the Lock/Unlock status of the Guides.
  5. Note that ClearManualGuides is a different operation to Lock/Unlock, it will clear the Guides whether they are Locked/Unlocked.
  6. If that does not work, post again, along with a graphic or movie.

Cheers

Thanks again for the input, those are all the steps I’ve tried. Maybe there is just an issue with my install. I made a video to show you but when I try to upload it for you to see I get a message saying “new users cannot upload files”. How would you like me to proceed ?

You are welcome.

1. In the movie, please make sure that you show that Arrange/Guides/Unlock Guides has been toggled.
  2. Compress the file, and try emailing it to me (it may be too large to mail)
    • derek at softwaregems dot com
  3. Find a cloud service that hosts images and movies, and post the address. imgur;google docs; etc.

Cheers

FWIW I just had the same problem and had to remove all guides. When I moved them to the ruler (which is how I used to delete them), they just appeared “underneath” the ruler. Same behavior if I moved them “past” the ruler.

For the record, the guides were not locked… and these were guides, not “lines”. When I removed all guides, they disappeared. Great…

Well, that is a bug. Report it via Help/Support.