[For those who haven’t yet seen this update on our blog:]
Our deepest apologies, everyone! OmniFocus 2 for iPad shipped with our test build expiration still in place, so it expired Friday evening. Version 2.0.1 was submitted Friday to fix the issue, and was approved Saturday afternoon. It will shortly be available as a free update in the App Store; if you’re not seeing it on your local device yet, please wait an hour or so and check again.
Once again, our sincerest apologies! The Omni Group has a no-questions-asked 30-day refund policy on all our apps. If you would like one, please contact email@example.com.
- Friday, 5:46pm — Issue first reported by a customer.
- Friday, 6:11pm — Ken (CEO) reproduces the problem and notifies the team, begins reviewing code with the team to identify where the problem lies.
- Friday, 6:15pm — The problem is found to be that the new iPad 2.0 app’s expiration logic is reading the iPhone app’s test build flag rather than its own, which is why the iPad app’s test flag was correct but its expiration happened anyway.
- Friday, 6:17pm — Team begins reviewing the 28 changes made to 2.0.1 since the initial 2.0 release to see whether they’re ready to include in an update. Determines that most are ready to go, but that the release has had insufficient testing and it will be safest and fastest to submit 2.0.1 with a single change fixing the expiration logic.
- Friday, 6:23pm — 2.0 tag is branched to form the basis of the new 2.0.1 build. (Former 2.0.1 branch renamed to 2.0.2.)
- Friday, 6:25pm — While engineers work on fixing the code, a public tweet is sent from @OmniFocus to tell our customers about the issue. Continue responding to all customers affected by the issue.
- Friday, 6:35pm — Fixed code checked into the 2.0.1 branch, 2.0.1 tag created and build started on build server.
- Friday, 6:37pm — While build proceeds on the build server, start defining new release on App Store with release notes containing an apology and explanation.
- Friday, 6:47pm — Problem also fixed for the upcoming 2.0.2 release.
- Friday, 6:48pm — OmniFocus 2 for iPad pulled from the App Store until this is resolved. (The discounted Omni Productivity Pack will also be unavailable until this is resolved.)
- Friday, 6:49pm — New 2.0.1 build completes.
- Friday, 6:55pm — New 2.0.1 build signed and uploaded to the App Store.
- Friday, 7:12pm — App Store processing completes, now waiting for review from Apple. Begin writing up request for an expedited review.
- Friday, 7:16pm — Expedited review request submitted to Apple.
- Friday, 7:20pm — Updates posted to Twitter.
- Friday, 7:44pm — Email autoresponders for OmniFocus are updated to explain the issue and our support humans notified; some return from their Friday evenings to start responding to customer messages on Twitter and email.
- Friday, 10:58pm — Blog post updated to include an explanation of the issue.
- Saturday, 1:27am — Hundreds of individual responses sent to customers over Twitter and email.
- Saturday, 6:25am — Blog post updated to include this response timeline.
- Saturday, 12:34pm — The 2.0.1 update has finished App Store review! Should start showing as a free update in the next hour or so. Our apologies again, and thank you so much for your patience.