Wishing to define "Due Soon" as today!

If this is true, its a bit disappointing.
Instead of reassigning Due Soon as “today”, how about a brand new “today” option?

1 Like

You mean the programmers would come up with a Today view that’s more flexible than the current “Forecast” perspective?

1 Like

Thanks for the update @BriMercer. I understand that changing OF database would make old versions of the app incompatible with the change, but didn’t they make the same sort of filter with Forecast view?

I know that changing the “Due soon” behaviour is different in terms of implementations than a simple filter (basically what Forecast is), but adding that filter option to custom perspectives would help tremendously.

Unfortunately that work around doesn’t really work for me, since due times are essential in my workflow, but thanks for the suggestion.

It’s really a shame that the OmniGroup won’t be doing anything anytime soon about something that would make so many people happy

This is what I’d like. The current Forecast view doesn’t quite suit me.

I’d prefer the view where I could show all tasks that are due today, deferred from today (maybe also flagged items), but where tasks are grouped by project and not showing anything due or deferred for tomorrow.

And also be able to drag the tasks up and down to be able to rearrange the order.

Yeah, the current forcast view is extremely limited. It’s useful for moving things around, but not as a working list.

I know this is on the OmniGroup’s list of updates, but no clue if they are going to make any changes to the backend database this year.

Yes I second Jono. A due today option and a rearrange option. PLEASE!

1 Like

This need especially becomes pronounced when you glance at the dock or iOS icon to quickly see if you have any further tasks booked for today.

+1
This would really help assessing how much more work is needed for the day.

Just switched to OF on my Mac, iPad and iPhone and would really like this feature implemented. It’s so rewarding and powerful to see your today list disappear.

Any news on this feature implementation?

It doesn’t seem like a big deal to implement, does it?

I’ve found some workarounds. I’ve set the default due time to 10:00 PM (after my bedtime), so while things do show up 24 hours before they’re due, by the time they do, I’ve gone to sleep.

I’ve also been using defer date/time. I’ve set the default defer time to 5:00 AM, so items don’t show up until then.

I agree, a customizable amount of time on what “Due Soon” would mean would be ideal. I would also like to see completed items to stay visible (in their checked, greyed out state) to remain visible. I like the sense of accomplishment of seeing the items I’ve completed, not going to a special perspective.

This is the biggest issue with implementing GTD using OmniFocus. Seems so obvious too!.

Agree and have asked for this many times through feature requests. I wish I could understand the difficulty with adding this a shorter option, say 12 hours or 16 hours.

“How much more autocratic can a software company be then to force their “due soon” of 24 hours on the populous when some of us might see “due soon” as only 8 hours or only today??”

In my experience, being insulting doesn’t increase the chances of getting what you want. Of course, you may have a track record of success in getting results through offensiveness

“Due Soon” will be able to operate on day boundaries later this month.

5 Likes

Great, can’t wait.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ken!

You have made a lot of people very happy.

A great step forward.

I request that you please consider making this an hourly variable down to 2 hours. Being able to use the due soon reminder as a 2 hour warning would be a great addition to the functionality of OF for me.

To my mind, this is a separate function entirely. Seeing easily what I need to look at Today is one thing; needing a reminder at a specific time in the day is another. For the latter, I belive it makes more sense to use Calendar facilities to set up one or more alerts

That is a semantic discussion about the subjective term ‘soon’.

The topic is a variable for the label of ‘soon’ specifically the minimum limit on that variable. My request is the freedom to set the value of the variable at 2 hours.