Locating items found in search

I ought to know the answer to this; but don’t!

How do I find in the main database any item(s) successfully returned as the result(s) of a search, please?

That is: I enter a string in the Filter field/box top right. I get a result. But how do I then go to that item in the main table - e.g. so that I can edit it in context?

OO 5.8.4 on macOS 11.4… with hundreds of items :-) .

What would you specifically expect ? Would you like to see that item in the context of its parent, in the main outline with no focused rows, perhaps leaving the filter and scrolling to that specific matched row ?..there are several possibilities in a OO outline, I think.

1 Like

Any of those, really, Gabriel, thanks.

As long as I can ‘find it again…’!

FWIW,

you can try the plug-in (Focus Parent of First Selected Row.omnijs) which I’ve just published to my repository. It’s inside OmniOutliner folder.

Once you applied the filter:

• select the desired row
  • run the plug-in
  • clear the filter

Tell me if it (at least partly) solves your problem.

Thanks, Gabriel. I’m new to Omni Automation.

1. where is a good place for the Automation, linked folder: in ~/Library/Application Support etc; or in /Applications near my OO file?
  2. where do I find .omnioutlinerjs; and where should I put that?
  3. how do I actually run the plug-in?

Very grateful; I’ve been meaning to get to grips with automation for some time. Here’s my excuse. I’ll let you know how your plug-in works once I’ve worked out how to install what, please.

You’re very welcome, Mark ! I will respond to your questions in a moment.

Since these scripts are cross-platform, you could put the Plug-In inside your OmniOutliner iCloud folder, perhaps. However, you could use any folder you like.

Hitting the green Code button, and then Download ZIP should do it. After decompressing the .zip file, you’ll find the file. That Plug-In should go inside one of your linked folders.

Several options, there.

• Clicking on the Automation menu, and then the desired Plug-In.
  • Assign a keystroke to it.
  • Place the Plug-In.

Feel free to ask more question.

Gabriel,

Got it. I think I’m all set. Just - if I may:

1 - I don’t have an iCloud folder; so I created ‘Omni Automation’ in ~/Library/Application Support.

2 - I put everything in that folder; although it didn’t actually include a specific file, .omnioutlinerjs in that zip - even accounting for the fact that it begins with ‘.’… I used the command line. Am I missing something, please?

I can now see how to run an Automation; and yours to reveal the parent directory of the selected item works perfectly, and is much appreciated!

Thanks, Gabriel. I sent you a small Ko-fi donation. Am truly grateful :-)

I’m glad it was useful, Mark ! Thank you.

Just to clarify, in this partícular case, the file had .omnijs extension. It can target any Omni application. Files with .omnioutlinerjs extension are restricted to OmniOutliner.

That’s strange. An OmniFocus iCloud folder is automatically created in the installation of OmniFocus, I think.

In any case, feel free to ask more questions.

Gabriel,

As I say, I’m new to Omni Automation - so thanks for your patience :-) .

I ask that because the help text on your GitHub page says to:

*Locate the desired .omnijs, .omnifocusjs or .omnioutlinerjs file.

after I’ve unzipped the file in question. So I was looking for any one of those three - and found one - with the right extension. Am I correct?

I have OF as well as OO (love them both!); but can’t see a folder readily identifiable as ‘iCloud’ for either/any Omni app in my user hierarchy, or in iCloud drive etc.

But if the files you kindly supplied are OK where I’ve put them, that’s OK, isn’t it?

Thanks again, Gabriel!

Well, in this particular case, the file had .omnijs extension, as you can see in my repository (Focus Parent of First Selected Row.omnijs):

I should clarify that in the repository — thanks for the question. Plug-Ins for OmniOutliner can have .omnijs or .omnioutlinerjs extension; the ones for OmniFocus, .omnijs or .omnifocusjs… and so on.

That’s interesting. They were automatically created, in my case:

Yes, of course. However, as that isn’t a location synced with the cloud, those plug-ins aren’t going to be available on your iOS devices (in case you have any).

Please, Mark. Feel free to ask further questions. I’ll be glad to answer them.

Gabriel,

Thanks so much once again!

Thanks. Got it. To anyone familiar with Automation, that much is obvious - as it is to me, now :-)

My apologies for not looking more carefully. I think I was expecting an additional ‘base’ file which would allow all the others to work. But I understand completely now.

Maybe it was/is an option that I chose not to use?

I do have OF and OO on two macOS devices and OF on my iPhone.

Perhaps I should create it?

Any harm in doing so manually?

Can’t immediately see any documentation; this comes close.

So really it is an advantage! Can I just create a folder called something like ‘Omni’ in my iCloud Drive hierarchy, Gabriel?

Thanks for all your help!

You’re absolutely right — would be nearly impossible to guess, I think :-)

I don’t think that is an option.

Of course, you can create it. However, do note that the default OmniFocus iCloud folder has a particular feature: it is automatically a linked folder.

You’re very welcome !

Just by chance, do you have this checkbox ticked in your iCloud preferences ?

Gabriel,

No problem, though; I’ve got it now, thanks :-)

No? Hmmm. Now I think I’d really like to get to the bottom of this and fix it, please.

It does seem as though it should be there, doesn’t it?

Yes; it was/is there.

I in fact unticked and restocked it to see if I could provoke it into creating it:

But… maybe I’m still confused. Should the iCloud folder appear as a sub-directory of my iCloud Drive - or (from) within OF/OO, Gabriel, please?

I think I’ve made some progress: in each of OF and OO I went to Automation > Configure.

In each case there is a location (folder, pseudo folder?), ‘OmniOutliner in iCloud Drive’ and ‘OmniFocus in iCloud Drive’.

Significantly, I can see now only see a Finder folder in Locations > iCloud Drive for OF.

Then ‘Reveal in Finder’ showed the respective OF and OO folders where the plugins were expected.

So I dragged the scripts one by one from their locations in the filesystem into the ‘proper’, target (pseudo/virtual) folders as indicated in each of OO’s and OF’s Configuration dialogues.

It seemed to work.

Or have I committed a sin? :-)

1 Like

Fantastic ! Good job ! I was going to suggest that.

Those are the exact folders we were looking for.

Excellent. That’s the best option, I think.

Of course not. You chose the ideal option :-)