OmniFocus 3 - Top feature requests

+1 for colors!

3 Likes

Anybody know if OF3 will have more icons + different colours to choose from, especially for custom perspective icons? (I exclusively use Omnifocus for iOS, so unable to purchase and install 3rd party icons found online)

2 Likes

What i would like to see in OF3.

1. Estimated time of the total tasks for the project.

2. More visual notes and practical at the same time.

2 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: How do I choose a “Forecast Tag” in OmniFocus 3 for iOS?

Yes I WOULD LIKE this sort of motivation too. Pies completion encourages me to complete tasks.

Each task completed gets closer to the full pie.
Something like this.

8 Likes

I would like to see the Pies completion too. Its an awesome Idea!

1 Like

Hopes for Omnifocus in 2018

I realize that the 2018 roadmap has been published but I want to voice my OF desires in the hopes that some (if not all) find their way in. Would love to hear if these represent pain points for everyone:

Navigation in IOS. I think there is a lot of room for improvement here. Effective use of long press or 3d touch rather than so much swiping in order to access common functions. I would love to see either a sidebar (such as the perspectives bar on the left hand side in the MacOS version) which can be accessed from anywhere with a swipe to the right. Or maybe a persistent bottom bar with popup menu access to things. However it happens I think it could be much better.

MacOS - View Inbox/Projects list simultaneously. This just seems an odd limitation.

MacOS/IOS - Forecast view. I love forecast view. Or at least I want to. Specific to MacOS I really want the view to be cleaned up. I get really confused visually looking at it: specifically calendar events. Everything seems to read top-down but then calendar events read left to right. I just want a top down list of events similar to fantastical. Also hate it how tasks with due and defer dates appear twice (if show defer is enabled). I would love to be able to stack custom perspectives here. Maybe overdue followed by flagged follow by waiting for example.

Timer integration or functionality. Not sure how tough it would be to build in, but the ability top start/stop timer per task and provide some analytics/reports would be very very welcome.

Would like an advanced perspective criteria. Something like “this and that but not that or that with these contexts starting in 9 days” etc

Ability to colour tasks or projects based on criteria/context.

more defined titles in IOS (I find that project and context headings get very difficult to distinguish from tasks if brightness is not at or close to 100% which I never use due to burning retinas and battery waste)

Dropbox/iCloud drive etc. integration for file attachments.

Focus in IOS. I try to use focus to avoid make so many perspectives, rather than work waiting & home waiting for example I can have just waiting and use focus to show either work or home specific. Works great! On MacOS. Not available on IOS. Really need this. Else just take it away from MacOS as its just annoying.

One more…location activated focus (edit: changed from context to focus). This could be cool.

I think thats all ;)

Let me know if you agree!

Best,
Mark

1 Like

Two top things:

1. Drop/cancel tasks.
  2. Separate management of the schedule and instance of a repeating task.

Any hope to customize swipe options on iOS?
Long/fast swipe left on anything (tasks, projects, tags…) just deletes the item without any confirmation. It’s super easy to just delete a folder with hundreds of projects in it.
I’ve lost reminders in the Due app because of this and thankfully it has the option to remove Delete from swipe actions entirely.

1 Like

OF1-style coloured text for overdue (red) and due soon (yellow). Don’t need giant coloured circle on opposite side of screen, a box to check is fine, and lined up on the left keeps it tidy. When the text changes colour, I don’t have to look in two places to determine the status of the task. This is a fundamental use of task managers, and was broken in the OF1-OF2 “update”.

1 Like

Omni has decided to adopt the status circle instead of a checkbox. A yellow status circle indicates due soon. A red status circle indicates overdue. An orange status circle indicates flagged. Three dots inside the status circle indicates a repeating task.

The status circles combine multiple conditions into one symbol. If there is a better way to repeat this function without adding more widgets and icons all over the screen, I’m sure Omnigroup would love to hear from you.

IIRC, the status circle on the right side has proven fairly controversial but was explained in these forums. The status circle is placed on the right side because there are more right-handed iPhone users. Tapping the status circle as completed is easier to do on the iPhone. To keep a consistent user experience, the status circle remained on the right when using the Mac and iPad versions. There was some debate about this. The Mac version allows us to put the status circle on the left.

If you want to vote for this feature request, send an email to ofpreview@omnigroup.com to have your voice heard.

3 Likes

End date for repeating task

1 Like

For me:

1. More customisation of printing, so I can print off ToDo lists / Agenda’s easily, ideally with templates I’ve already used.

2. ToDo templates so dates / etc can be autofilled according to the template.

3. Ability to make fonts bigger in iOS.

Cheers!

2 Likes

As OF3.0 for iOS prepares to ship, I gathered together all the things I would put on a wish list to see in the future for OmniFocus, and emailed it in.
These aren’t complaints, by the way, just doing what I can to provide feedback and vote for the features I’d like to see.
I typed this while rocking the baby to sleep so it may not be the best piece of writing.

Aesthetic:

Number icons for custom perspectives

Don’t show project/tag heirarchy in perspective groupings (is never useful, always clutter for me)

Only show the project name (again, NOT the heirarchy) underneath tasks in a perspective grouped by tag, and vice versa. (Can reasonably infer that everything grouped under ‘Home’ has the Home tag, and what would be more useful to be displayed prominently would be project names like ‘Prepare for Holiday guests’ and ‘Duck-proof the gutters.’)

Put the abbreviated day of the week (Sun, Mon, Tue…) alongside due dates appearing underneath tasks. If something’s due Saturday it could even just read “Due Sat 5pm.” (Rather than “Due May 12, 2018.”)

Forecast:

Option to only show flattened tasks in (any perspective, or at least the) Forecast perspective (I.e., show only “Huge action group A” on the future date it becomes available rather than all 428 subtasks)

Select multiple tags to include, as in custom perspectives, rather than a seemingly arbitrary ‘blessed’ tag. (At present I work around by nesting all my tags underneath a single tag which I select in Forecast, other than the few I would want to exclude.)

Allow us to look at any given date regardless of how far in the future, to see what is deferred until then. (‘Things’ nails this; I would cut and paste Things’ Upcoming perspective and overwrite OF’s Forecast to be honest.)

Option to keep calendar separate from due events (Doesn’t really work for my workflow; prefer to have the option for the way OF2 was)

Ability to modify a single instance of a repeating task or project without modifying the next instance. (Logic of the Calendar app: prompt the user whether to apply the change to just this occurrence or all future. If just this one, make a copy of the repeating item first and mark it as complete in the background. This would be presented even when modifying a task within a repeating container.)

Go back to OF2 in terms of showing nested actions. In OF2 I tapped to drill down into these, keeping things orderly. In OF3 they’re all spread out and opened into a sometimes indecipherable mess which I cannot collapse.

Ability to output a project or perspective or any sort of list as a simple text list of the task names, for simple and easy sharing (or things like a grocery list, dumped into Drafts or Notes or Mail)

Custom perspectives:

Add option to group tasks by each and every specific date, rather than merely “Deferred/Due this week… this month… August 2018… Later in 2020… etc.” (This would allow for a custom perspective that would allow me to get close to the Things Upcoming perspective mentioned above.)

More options to customize perspectives via filters. Go whole hog, with full smart folder style options, to allow filters like “is due in 7 days” and “defer date is within the next 21 days.”

If a perspective filters tasks to include some tags and not others, only group tasks based on the included filters. If I have other tags I use for contexts, and a second set of tags for energy level, for example, I might create a perspective which only includes tasks based on context. It’s very unhelpful to either repeat tasks in the list under energy level or to group them by combined tags. I only selected the context type tags, so I don’t want tasks grouped by these irrelevant tags. (Alternatively, and this would be less helpful but perhaps easier, add an option in perspectives to only list a task once and to put it under the tag highest on the Tags list ordering.)

1 Like

Yes to he UI refresh

I support this feature! I use checklists in collaborate systems like MeisterTask and find it very useful.

plus the ability to select “by mondays and thursdays on last week in month”

A design refresh is probably not in the cars at this point. Unfortunately. Past deferred showing up in forcast is my top realistic request I think. Also, when flagging a repeating task, the flag should only apply to that instance.

I can see where this would have a very reasonable use case. However, my primary use case is to have a repeating tag flagged each time it is created, so I at least want the flagging to be configurable (“one instance only” or “every instance”).

Really, this is the slightly bigger question of whether modifying a recurring task should modify the template or the instance 💁‍♂️